Thursday, November 05, 2015

Sycamore Shoals October Walk

Bryan Stevens of the Herndon Bird Club organizes a series of Saturday bird walks at Sycamore Shoals State Park in Elizabethton, Tennessee, during October. I only made the last one (Halloween) this year. It started out a good day although I got a bit chilled for some reason when it wasn’t all that chilly. Still, it is almost November so the weather has to turn soon, which reminds me I still have to finish up one last mowing.

There were seven of us: Bryan, Tom Stettler, Jean and Brookie Potter, Jim Anderson, Roy Knispel, and myself. There is usually a good selection of field birds and water birds but not a lot of waders along the river. There was a rather strange gadwall mixed in with the mallards and we found several wood ducks in color. I don’t recall hearing this fall a white-throated sparrow until now. I should check my feeders for them. A rarity I thought was a lone red-winged black bird this time of year. Of course, spring is only five months off. Christmas is two months away.

It was a good morning’s walk.
###

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome. Use the "anonymous" profile. Thanks.

<< Home