Wednesday, December 27, 2017

scaup (greater or lesser?)




We get both scaup here in the winter times. We had the usual few scaup at the Christmas Bird Count in early December 2017.

I was out on Christmas Eve driving around Piney Flats, Tenn., and then towards Pickens Bridge, near Boone’s Creek. In this typically yucky farm pond were three scaup. I was excited! Scaup would be listed something on the order of “seasonal, uncommon” so to find any was fun and to find them where I least expected to find anything was even better!

I’ve heard of this dilemma of which is “greater” or “lesser.” I would be the first to admit I cannot tell the difference. So, the label is “scaup, species” and just be glad to get a scaup. I think this is only the second one for me for the calendar year.


###

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome. Use the "anonymous" profile. Thanks.

<< Home